Wednesday, August 5, 2009

covering some ground.

I'm almost halfway done! I'm smack dab in the middle of week 5, meaning I have 5 measly weeks left for training. I can't believe it, honestly. In the beginning, I questioned whether or not I would make it, especially since I have such a busy schedule, but I made it a priority and it's working. I'm learning a lot about the benefits of making things a priority, especially as it translates into my spiritual life with the Lord. Progress is made when you put forth effort and time. That applies to anything, I think.

Just to recap, last time I wrote about my 40 minute run on Friday. Saturday I went on a bike ride. I rode the "Bird Pond" route, although the ride was unfortunately cut short. My friend's chain popped off and the situation was unable to be remedied. Those things happen sometimes, you just have to pray it doesn't happen on the race day.

Sunday I completed my first Brick workout of my training. A Brick is where you bike and then immediately get off and run. I biked for 30 minutes and then ran for 10. The purpose is to train your body to grow accustomed to jumping off the bike and immediately starting into the run where you'll be using different muscle groups, a different pace, a different rhythm, etc. Initially, your legs just feel like jello, and you have to mentally psych yourself up to start running like you're in a race. It's tempting to just jog out the stiffness in your legs, but you have to quickly switch gears and try to make your times. It's a fun addition to my already diverse workout, and I'm looking forward to my next one tomorrow.

Monday was my much-needed day off. My legs were a little sore, so I was glad to rest, and Tuesday when I did my running, I was refreshed and recovered.

I still love every aspect of training. I'm going to go lift weights and swim today, and I feel lame saying this, but it's probably going to be the highlight of my day. I can noticeably tell a difference in my heart rate and it's efficiency when I work out. It doesn't get as high when I'm exerting myself, and it takes little to no time at all to decrease back to its normal rate. When I'm resting, I can tell that I'm really resting now, because my heart has gotten stronger. Sure, these aren't drastic changes after only 5 weeks, but it's changed enough that I notice a difference.

I think something that has helped me is to remember that I'm not racing tomorrow, I'm racing in 5 weeks. Because of that, my progression can be and should be gradual! Sometimes it's frustrating not to see much progress in one week, but keep telling yourself that you're working for 10 weeks to accomplish a goal, not just one. It's a slow and steady climb. 5 more weeks!

0 comments: