Sunday, August 16, 2009

rest days are good!

As you know from my last post, I was forced to take a few days off due to work and other circumstances. I did get the unexpected chance to practice an open water swim, however. I was on leadership retreat with church, and we spent the afternoon on Lake Whitney doing some cliff jumping and swimming. I used the opportunity to get comfortable in choppy water. Unfortunately, the weather turned bad and the waves got pretty high, and so an afternoon of leisure swimming at the lake turned into a survival situation. The stronger swimmers had to help the others out, and at the end, everyone was exhausted physically and emotionally. It was good experience for me, though, swimming in choppy, open water.

Yesterday I worked from 8-2 at the Doctor's office, and then headed to the Gym for a Brick workout. I was dreading it, actually, because I was worried that I was going to die within the first 15 minutes of my workout since I've missed some key workouts and not gotten much sleep. It's amazing, though, how well your body does after some rest. Even though I was busy and not sleeping as much as normal, I wasn't exerting myself physically. My Brick was the best one I've done yet! I felt really strong, and I attribute that to the extra rest days I had.

I'm at the Doctor's today from 1-7 if I get off on time. And then I have my long run...45 minutes today. I'm excited about it based off of yesterday's performance. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

The race is exactly 4 weeks from today! I'm starting to get that edgy feeling of excitement. We'll just have to wait and see how it goes!

0 comments: