Monday, July 6, 2009

on your mark...

Let's call this an experiment. I'm getting ready to train for 10 weeks. I don't really know what I'm doing because I haven't done it before, so I'm no expert. The purpose of this blog is not to inform you about everything I already know. The purpose is to invite you to learn alongside me, and maybe share in the humors and pains of my challenge.

For 10 weeks I will be training 5-6 times a week. This sounds like a lot, but in reality, it only consumes a small portion of each day; it's probably equivalent to the amount of time I currently spend daily on facebook. I would call that a fair trade. I will also be changing my diet. Not too much, though. I want this to be "do-able," and frankly, I love eating greasy, fried food. However, adjustments must be made, and so I will be eliminating the following things from my diet: sodas, fast food, and excessive amounts of sugar. Seems pretty reasonable to me. I will be continuing to take my daily vitamin, and adding in more hydration.

I'm not doing anything life-altering! But trust me, the Dr. Pepper will be hard to resist. And don't worry, if I cheat, I will tell you.

So here begins a daily log of my training. It should be exciting, with ups and downs, do's and don'ts, funny stories, close calls, complaints, victories, etc. As we go I'll include discussions about equipment, maybe some posts from friends I'm training with, as well as photos to spice things up!

I'm following the training plan outlined in depth on trinewbies.com. It's the 10 week beginner program for Sprint Triathlons.
So if you're up for it, I'd love for you to join me in my endeavor! Or at least come along for the ride!

1 comments:

Linda said...

Hey SEB, if I was able to give up Dr. Peppers over a year ago, I know you definitely can give 'em up!